With the holidays coming and not a lot of money to go around, there is one gift that never loses its appeal: a good old-fashioned book. While many products in this rapid-changing digital era will be outdated by the same time next year, books continue to charm us, inspire us, and entertain us. Whether we read for pleasure, education, or escapism, we love to read, and that’s why books still make perfect gifts for the holidays. But this year, before you bust out your wallet and start spending, take a moment to consider where you’d like your money to go.
While the majority of money spent at large chain bookstores goes straight into the pockets of the major chain business owners, buying from an independent bookstore offers a lot more to the community. Listed below are the top ten reasons why you should consider shopping at your local independent bookstores this season.
1. By shopping at an independent bookstore, you keep your dollars in our economy. For every $100 dollars you spend at local businesses, $68 will stay in the community. When spending at a national chain, only $43 dollars stay in the community.
2. You embrace what makes us unique. A large part of the joy of shopping at independent bookstores is that they each have their own personalities. You wouldn’t want your house to look like everyone else’s in the U.S. So why would you want your community to look that way?
3. You create local jobs. Local businesses are better at creating higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
4. You help the environment. Buying from a local business conserves energy and resources by using less fuel for transportation, less packaging, and using products that you know are safe and well made, because we stand behind them.
5. You nurture your community. Studies show that local businesses donate to community causes at more than twice the rate of major chains.
6. You conserve tax dollars. Shopping at a local business means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money available to beautify your community. Also, spending locally instead of online ensures that your sales taxes are reinvested where they belong – in your community!
7. You create more choice. We pick the books and gifts we sell based on what we know you like and want. Local businesses carry a wider array of unique products because we buy for our own individual market.
8. You take advantage of our expertise. We are your friends and neighbors, and we have a vested interest in knowing how to serve you. We’re passionate about what we do. Why not take advantage of it?
9. You invest in entrepreneurship. Creativity and entrepreneurship is what the American economy is founded upon. Nurturing local businesses ensures a strong community and creates opportunity.
10. You made us a destination. The more interesting and unique we are a community, the more we will attract new neighbors, visitors and guests. This benefits everyone!
Keep these reasons in mind this season as you go about your holiday spending, and if you’re a St. Louis local, don’t forget about Hope for the Holidays. As part of the St. Louis Independent Bookstore Alliance, we at The Book House encourage you to purchase a book to donate to Gateway 180 Homeless Shelter. For more information, go to: http://www.stlindiebook.com/node/76
Also, be sure to check out our website at: http://www.bookhousestl.com/ or stop by at 9719 Manchester Road, for great deals and more upcoming holiday events!